Port Arthur Texas History
Welcome to the thriving port city of Port Arthur, Texas, home to some of the world's biggest and most popular tourist attractions. With over 2,000 years of history, PortArthur is a must-see destination for visitors and locals alike.
Besides its scenic charm, Port Arthur also has an eccentric local history and the history of the pirate Jean Lafitte.
The inspiration for Port Arthur's foundation was a novel, and the railway pioneer Arthur E. Stilwell, who founded the city, later wrote that he had the idea for the railroad and the location of the eponymous city while talking to a Brownie. He did not manage the port property well and it went bankrupt in 1902 when he withdrew from the Port of Portland affair. He had a hunch and built a hotel, a grocery store and a train station, the first of its kind in the United States, on the advice of his brownies. It reopened after the hotel and store closed, but it and Jefferson County did not get the initial funding.
The name "Rose Hill Manor" has been synonymous with the city of Port Arthur for many years and continues to draw people to the city, said City Manager Ron Burton. Nederland and Port Neches Groves are both owned and have their own history and heritage, but there is no doubt they have a strong connection to their namesake city. Although PortArthur is a thriving community, its residents enjoy relaxation and appreciate the natural beauty of this Texas town and all that it is known for, including scenic views of the Texas Panhandle and Gulf Coast.
The map on this page shows Beaumont and Port Arthur, Texas, and shows Coatzacoalcos and Minatitlan, Mexico. The region is part of the Golden Triangle, which includes the cities of Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin and Corpus Christi. Portland forms the metropolitan region's "golden triangle," with Houston the second-largest city in the region after Houston.
The groves are bordered by Highways 73, 87 and 347, with the city of Port Arthur in the center of the region and Beaumont in the east and Corpus Christi, Austin, Dallas - Fort Worth and Austin - Austin in the west and Houston, Texas, in the north and south.
Originally called Pecan Grove, the subdivision was simply called Groves when it was taken over by the Port Arthur Land Development Company in 1921. Memorial High School was founded in 1924 as part of a plan to merge all PortArthur's school districts. Texas' first school district to introduce a 12th-grade system , it set the pace that all Texas schools should follow, and the name of the school was changed to Port Arthur Business College.
In the decades that followed, the region developed in a way that closely accompanied the progress of Beaumont and Port Arthur. Thousands of new residents were added in the 1970s, during which time the US Census Bureau recognized both Beaumons and Port Arthur as the standard metropolitan area. PortArthur's population was 53,818 at the end of the 1990 census, an increase of more than 3,000 from the previous year.
The probability of earthquake damage in Port Arthur is much lower than the national average, but it is about the same as the Texas average. In fact, Portland is tied with Lake Charles, Louisiana, and Astoria, Oregon, for the second-highest earthquake risk in the United States, and the third-highest in Texas, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The probability of earthquakes and damage in Port Arthur is about twice as high as in Texas and much higher than in most other states and the nation.
Port Arthur has the second-highest earthquake risk in the United States and the third-lowest in Texas, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Tyrrell has had a significant impact on Port Arthur's history as a city and region. Sabine was the first mayor, elected mayor, city councilor and city clerk. He had a long career in public service, not only in Texas and Louisiana, but also in the private sector.
Between 1950 and 2010, more than 1,000 tornadoes and other weather extremes were recorded in Port Arthur, Texas. Of the 50 historic tornado events recorded with a strength of 2 or higher, all were in Port Arthur, according to the USGS.
At that time, however, Port Arthur and Port Neches annexed almost all of the land surrounding the original city boundary of Groves. An early attempt to settle the area permanently was the community of Aurora, which was in what is now historic PortArthur.
The Port Arthur Channel and Dock Company was founded in June 1896 and began in April 1897 to cut a channel from the western shore of the lake through Sabine Pass to the western shore, but legal hurdles that Kountze posed delayed the project. In March 1899 PortArthur became a port and a name, and it became an official port of call in 1906. In 1908 the Sabine and Neches canals were deepened and extended from Beaumont to Orange via the Nechama.